Our Town Gallery
The Our Town Gallery traces the history of the Township from the campsites of the Lenape, through its colonization by Scottish and English settlers, to the glory days when it encompassed much of eastern Monmouth County.
“Election Memorabilia: The Stuff of American Campaigning” mini-exhibit
The mini-exhibit, “Election Memorabilia: The Stuff of American Campaigning,” opens in the "Our Town" Gallery on December 7.
Even before we moved to the Eden Woolley House, the Museum boasted an impressive collection of election artifacts, a gift from Ocean Township resident and Museum member William Mullaney, assembled over decades of an active career in politics.
The new exhibit shows off gems from the collection—buttons, banners, jewelry, and hats, to name a few. There are invitations to national political conventions and presidential inaugurations, a plastic doll of Barry Goldwater, Al Smith and Herbert Hoover medallions, and handmade signs in support of local candidates many oldtimers will remember.
It’s no surprise that the stuff of American political campaigning is colorful. Consider the characters it represents. Even the father of our country wore a campaign button. His was brass, sewn to his coat, and read “Long live the President.”
William Henry Harrison was the first to run an “image” presidential campaign (1840). He was born rich, but chose the log cabin as his logo and coined what might be the first presidential political slogan, “Tippecanoe and Tyler too.”
Campaign buttons were not mass-produced until the 1890s and
enjoyed their golden age from 1896 to 1916. They sum up the candidate in a few words like the iconic “I like Ike.” Jimmy Carter went Ike one step further. His button had no words at all, just a golden peanut!
From the start, American campaigning has been rough and tumble. The new exhibit captures the fight and the fun of the contest.
“Elections Memorabilia: The Stuff of American Campaigning” runs through November of 2020.
The Permanent Exhibits in the Our Town Gallery
The Pre-Colonial Era
This area of New Jersey was originally occupied by the Lenni-Lenape tribe (also known as the Delaware to Europeans) a part of the Algonquin nation. The Lenni-Lenape traveled with the seasons, making full use of the area resources. During the spring they planted gardens around their permanent settlements. In the summer, they went “down the shore” to catch oysters and clams and stay cool. In the fall, they would move back to their village and harvest their crops. In the winter, they hunted deer and other animals.
Some of the other tribes scorned them for their peaceful ways. The Iroquois called them "The Old Women." They frequently were the intermediaries in resolving problems within the nation.
The central area of New Jersey was occupied by the Unami (“the people down the river”) sub-tribe.
See History of the Township of Ocean
Wanamassa is the area of the Township of Ocean in the south-east corner of the Township, along the area of Deal Lake. It is made up of land originally sold to Gavin Drummond by the local chiefs of the Lenni-Lenape tribe. According to local legend, Chiefs Wanamassa, Wallammassekaman and Waywinotunce sold the land for practically nothing because Drummond was married to the Lenape princess, Nissima (daughter of Wanamassa). The three chiefs signing the deed which indicated that Drummond purchased the land for one gun, five coats, one kettle, and two pounds of gun powder.
As the City of Asbury Park began developing, the opposite shore of Deal Lake was being developed as larger homes and estates, with easy access to Asbury Park. Eventually, as bridges over Deal Lake were erected, Wanamassa became a “bedroom” community of Asbury Park, with many people working in Asbury Park, or taking the train from Asbury Park, north to work in places such as Newark or New York.
See Historic Wanamassa
Oakhurst is the area of the Township of Ocean in the north-east corner of the Township, bordering Deal, Elberon (a section of the City of Long Branch) and West Long Branch. It was originally formed as the “business district” of the area, around the Brinley Grist Mill, that once sat on Whalepond Brook, on the border that today is between the Township of Ocean and West Long Branch.
During the late 1800's, mansion houses were built in the areas that today border Deal and Elberon, to enjoy this fine seaside area of the Jersey Shore. Many of these fine older homes still exist.
See Historic Oakhurst
Wayside is the area of the Township of Ocean in the western portion of the Township. Cold Indian Springs, located in the sand hills of Wayside, was the encampment of the Lenni-Lenape tribe when they came to the Shore in the summer.
From the colonial era onward, Wayside was a farming community, and was also the location of a stage coach stop for travelers riding between the ports in the northern part of the County (Oceanport today) and the port at Manasquan, as well as the iron foundry at Allaire.
Wayside remained a rural farming community until the 1960's when development began turning the many farms into apartment and residential communities, found there today.
See Historic Wayside
Deal Test Site
An area of the town, once part of the Woolley farm, was purchased by Western Electric (later Bell Laboratories, and then Lucent Technologies) as a research and development site. Later the property was sold to the United States Army, for use in developing communications technology.
See Deal Test Site